Posts Tagged with “online business India”
Own Website or Marketplace Listing for E Commerce Business in India?
“In the end, all business operations can be reduced to three words: people, product, and profits.” – Lee Iacocca
If you’re a business owner, I am sure you can relate to this as any business basically revolves around these three Ps only. This blog however focuses on maximizing the last P-Profit, because that’s what’s most important- the reason you’re into business.
If you’re an established business or even if you’re just starting out, you must be strategizing and doing various marketing and getting online activities to reach far and wide.
In this blog, we’ll narrow things down and try to understand which alternative will be more beneficial for you to promote your business online – creating your website or getting your business listed on some leading e-commerce platform- like eBay, Flipkart, Snapdeal etc. Although I’d like to make things clear in the beginning itself that every initiative to get more business has its pros and cons.
So, let’s dig deeper.
A)Should you get your business listed on an e-commerce platform?
With changing times, the meaning of getting online has changed considerably. Now, there are multiple ways in which you can promote your products online, even if you don’t have your website – through social media, via instant messaging and through your business listing on an ecommerce platform.
Listing your business on an ecommerce platform has many advantages & few disadvantages:
1)Pros of business listing:
- You promote your products online, with zero or minimum investment. It saves you from spending much on designing, creating and maintaining your website.
- You get publicity through a readymade, SEO optimized portal that publicize your products far and wide.
- You don’t need any technical expertise to make your business listing.
- Once listing is done, you’ll start getting leads and there’re no other hassles involved.
2)Cons of business listing:
- There’s no exclusivity for your products or your business identity. You’ll be part of the crowd selling products on that platform.
- An ecommerce site is not a very safe haven for your information or products. If that site fails, loads slowly or has downtime, your business will suffer.
- You may be restricted in terms of space and number of products you can display as there are a number of merchants listing their products.
- Business listing sites create category of products and club all merchants selling them together. If you sell products other than the listed categories, you cannot get yourself listed on that particular site.
B)Why should you create your website?
Your website is the true online identity of you- your business. Just like your personality defines who you are, your website defines your business. There are innumerable advantages of having your own website:
1)Pros of having your business website:
- Since your website only represents your business, you can display your products and services – your way.
- You have unlimited space to display your products and services.
- You can do SEO optimization, add opt in forms, enquiry forms or any other way on your site to collect leads.
- You can collect and utilize the leads generated from your site anytime later for different things- advertising, sending mails, remarketing, upselling/cross selling etc.
- You can add videos, blogs, images, infographics and multiple other things to interact with your website visitors or potential customers the way you want.
2)Cons of having your business website:
Although there are no disadvantages of having your own website, but as compared to business listing, this is a costly way of getting online as to you’ll have to buy domain, get web hosting and manage your site if you’re technically apt or get it managed by your service provider.
But as they say ‘no pain, no gain.’
So, we recommend that your business should be omnipresent for max benefits. Create your website and list your products on ecommerce listing sites as well.
Stay tuned to more exclusives information!Give us your valuable comments below.